- Roof Damage: Why Summer is the Best Time to Repair and Replace Your Roof
Roof Damage: Why Summer is the Best Time to Repair and Replace Your Roof
Posted on: May 01, 2017
What time of year is the best time to repair and/or replace the roof on your commercial building? The answer to this question definitely deserves some investigation, as choosing the right season can make a huge difference in the quality and cost of your roofing job.
A quick comparison of the seasons will reveal why summer is the best time to repair and replace your roof:
- Winter: The winter season is probably the least popular option because it can bring frigid temperatures as well as snow, sleet and ice, all of which can sabotage a roofing job in short order. Not only that, but standard roofing materials such as shingles are a little more difficult to work with in colder conditions. The low temperatures can cause these materials to freeze and harden, which can lead to cracking or breaking when pressure from tools or nails is applied. In addition, most adhesive roofing materials will simply cease to function properly once temperatures have dropped below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spring: Bear in mind that spring is the prime season for unpredictable storms, which can cause significant delays in roofing projects. If you try to “chance it” and attempt to get your roof repaired or replaced in the spring time, the job might only get partially finished before a storm system comes rolling through. This means that the roofers would have to break out the tarps and wait out those rainy days, causing all kinds of delays and inconveniences.
- Fall: The three-month span of time between September and November is typically considered to be the busiest season for roofing contractors. People are rushing to get their roof problems taken care of before the big cold snap arrives, and this will normally cause a significant boost in demand for roofing services.
As the basic laws of economics would have it, this increased demand often causes a spike in prices, which means that you’ll pay more during this time of year than you would if the exact same roofing job were done during the summer. Even with the increased prices, roofers are still often backed up for weeks or even months, which makes booking your roofing job that much more inconvenient.
Another factor to consider is the issue of quality. With the average roofing contractor taking on so many jobs, it can be easy for them to begin rushing through their work and cutting corners in order to get more jobs done within their strict time constraints. This could include using fewer nails per shingle, poorly sealing the flashing around rooftop protrusions, foregoing the installation of ice and water shields, etc. This type of sub-par work can reduce the lifespan of your roof, and it won’t provide you with any kind of decent return on your investment.
- Summer: Of all the seasons, summer tends to have the most consistent weather, and this really helps when you’re trying to schedule a roof repair or replacement job. While temperatures can sometimes be an issue in the dead of summer, the early and latter parts of the season generally afford the most ideal temperature range (e.g., below 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit) for roofing work to be done. Not only that but with the weather being far less volatile than it is during the other seasons, roofing problems generally tend to subside, which means that demand for roofing contractors tends to slow. This means that you’ll probably pay a lot less for your roofing job during the summer than in other months, where roofing services typically come at a higher premium.
When you’re ready to get the roof on your commercial building repaired or replaced, be sure to choose a reliable, well-credentialed roofing contractor. Chinook Roofing and Gutters is an industry leader in both commercial and residential roofing repair, and we have an extensive track record of providing our customers with top-quality roofing solutions and excellent workmanship. Contact one of our team members today to see how we can help you with your roof repair or replacement project.